Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Emotional

It doesn't happen very often but when it does it disturbs my equilibrium for the entire day. The newspaper headline in the Gleaner today was "Kids die in blaze: Heroic dad jumps into flames to save three, but dies later" . I've read of children being raped and slaughtered, men and women dying through random violence and stray bullets. Not as a one off event or through civil unrest, no. Just daily life in Jamaica land we love. But this one really got me this morning.

Could have been the photo. The mother was obviously "distressed" but she wasn't down on the ground pulling off her clothes like I've seen before. Someone was standing behind her presumably giving her support, but that person wasn't looking overly upset either. Yet something in her stance or face communicated itself to me.

For the first time in years, the Gleaner lead story made me cry.

I have been numb for a long time.

2 comments:

bassChocolate said...

It catches me now and again. Thankfully I don't cry, but trust me, sometimes I want to.

Bashmentbasses said...

I tear up after I get angry. It sucks when you realise that my efforts, though important, won't have the kind of impact that I want it to.