Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Giving Praise

I hated getting up early in the mornings to go to morning devotions at school. In the way of all rote learning however those hymns have stuck with me more than the more complex tunes I've since learned.This short one goes back to my first prep school (I switched prep schools when I was in grade 5).

Thank you, for giving me this morning
Thank you, for giving me today
Thank you , for every new day dawning
I'll be thanking you (Ohohoh :-) )

Thank you, for all the birds and flowers
Thank you, for all the hills and trees
Thank you, for simply being with me
Lord above thank you.

Unfortunately I don't know the author of this piece. It was from a book of Caribbean School Hymns that I believe is used in many schools. A cute little orange book with some flowers on the cover.

The simplicity and beauty of hymns like these not only highlight the skills of our Caribbean writers, but illustrate the importance of the care that must be taken with institutionalized religious education. There is much more to say on this matter but I will put that in a separate post, suffice to say I am pro religious education in schools and group devotions.

1 comment:

laroper18 said...

I didn't sing that song in any school I went to, but I heard it and kinda liked it. Didn't know all the words though.

And I don't think I would have called it a hymn either...I nice song, maybe, but not a hymn. (I couldn't really give a def. for hymn though :))