Friday, June 09, 2006

Flying Rumours

It's fantastic living in an island as small as Jamaica, where it might take years for the former monopoly telephone company to install a landline but the grapevine takes less than a second to download information.

Case in point, after leaving the panyard yesterday evening a number of cars stopped by the side of the road to offer their support to some persons who had been involved in a minor car accident. On returning home my brother tells me that someone told him I had been in a car crash. Now luckily I had called him not too long after I went to the scene of the accident. Since he hadn't called me back while I was on the road I assume eitherI had called pretty soon after he got that info or he made the person clarify the remark, since he wasn't perturbed in any way when I came home. It's things like this that get people into trouble though.

For one thing I saw no one pass by whom I recognised, (wait I think I did glimpse Aunt Sally as I was leaving) nor did anyone signal to me, and only one person (a guy) actually stopped and came out of his car to get the details of the story. Anything else that anyone might have conveyed would only be speculation at this point. In any case I am just happy that there was no real damage done (no heart attacks from my brother) and all parties involved settled matters amicably.

2 comments:

bassChocolate said...

Serious words. But people need to get their stories straight or don't tell stories at all.

Sweet Simone said...

I remember commenting last night that someone would pass, see all the cars and somehow believe it was a massive accident that we were all involved in. They never actually get the story, they just try to piece together what they THINK happened.